GPA and Cordele Intermodal Services Partnership
As a critical element of Georgia Ports Authority’s Network Georgia and its broader Rapid Routes initiative, Cordele Intermodal Services has created an inland gateway to the Port of Savannah, the second largest port on the East Coast, and the Port of Brunswick.
- The Cordele Inland Port, through CIS, offers a direct 200-mile rail route to the Georgia Ports Authority’s Garden City Terminal and will create and expand international markets for regional business.
- The inland port offers an efficient option to an all-truck-dray to the deepwater port of
Savannah for CIS’ target market - southwest Georgia, southern Alabama, and western Florida.
- The CIS/GPA logistics model benefits truckers, allowing them to haul more loads over a shorter distance.
- The balance between import and export container traffic for this market creates benefits for shippers in Albany and Tifton, Ga.; Montgomery and Mobile, Ala.; and Tallahassee, Fla.
- Located in a regional center for agriculture - including the production and export of cotton, peanuts, and wood products - the Cordele Inland Port will make those commodities more competitive in the global market, while reducing carbon emissions.
- CIS is on 40 acres in the Crisp County Industrial Park, with an option to expand on 1,200 adjacent acres, less than one mile from Interstate 75, Georgia Highway 300, and Georgia Highway 280. CIS also offers direct rail service to the Ports of Savannah and Brunswick.
- GPA and CIS recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding, creating a partnership which provides cost savings, traffic mitigation, and additional operational services benefiting shippers, truckers, and steamship lines.